When you combine beans and rice, you get all of the 9 essential amino acids, making it a perfect meal. It’s also high in fiber, good source of iron and even the pickiest of eaters usually love it. It is easy for this meal to get monotonous though. So here is something I threw together for dinner tonight and it turned out pretty good.
What you’ll need:
- 1 red onion, chopped
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Red pepper, chopped
- 2 cans vegetarian refried beans (I prefer Amy’s organic, I mixed refried pinto and refried black beans)
- 2 cups rice of your choice (I had organic brown rice in my cupboard so I used that)
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 green chile, diced
- 1 small can tomato paste
- Cajun spices to taste
- Cook rice according to package label, add 1/2 of the chopped red onion, tomato paste, cajun spices, tomatoes and green chile while it simmers so the flavors bake into the rice as it cooks.
- Meanwhile, on low heat cook the refried beans with the other 1/2 of red onion, red pepper and cajun spices to taste. After it’s warm add the chopped cilantro and mix in.
- Warm tortillas on non-greased skilled, each side for 10-15 seconds.
- Spoon the rice and refried beans onto the tortillas and top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
This recipe adds a lot of flavor naturally to an otherwise bland meal. It’s quick, cheap and the kids will love it!