Here are the original ingredients before veganizing it:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
4 ounces linguine, cooked al dente
2 teaspoons cajun seasoning (your recipe, Cajun Seasoning Mix or store-bought)
2 tablespoons butter
1 thinly sliced green onion
1 -2 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
The first challenge I had making this dinner is that it’s impossible to buy a 4 oz. bag of linguine. So I bought a 16 oz. bag of organic linguine and then cooked half of the pasta in the bag. So I doubled this recipe, except the “chickn”. The ingredients I provided below have the doubled version measurements. So use those, don’t double it.
2 of Gardein’s Chickn Scallopini cut up into thin strips
8 oz of linguine al dente
2 teaspoons of cajun seasoning (I used Weber’s cajun seasoning)
2 tablespoons of your favorite vegan margarine, I used Earth Balance
2 thinly sliced green onion stalks
2 cups vegan heavy cream (the recipe for that is below)
4 tablespoons sun dried tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 black pepper
1/4 garlic powder
1/2 cup grated vegan parmesan (I used the vegan parmesan cheese made by Galaxy Foods you can find it on the Amazon website or not use it at all)
Heavy Cream ingredients:
1 1/2 cups plain soy/almond/hemp milk
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 cups oil (I used olive oil but safflower or grapeseed could be substituted)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
1. In a skillet put 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil or any type oil to cook the Gardein chickn, follow the instructions on the package. When done cut into thin strips and set in a bowl.
2. In a bowl combine the soy milk and lemon juice to make the heavy cream (or you can do it in a blender) use an electric mixer or turn your blender on high for 1 minute and blend the soy milk and lemon juice. Then add the oil, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Keep blending or mixing until it thickens, it’ll take about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
3. Pour the cajun seasoning over the chicken and stir til evenly coated.
4. In the skillet over medium heat put the chicken in with the butter. Let it sit for about 2-3 minutes.
5. Reduce heat, then add the green onions, heavy cream, sun dried tomatoes, basil, salt, garlic powder, black pepper and heat through.
6. Pour over sauce over the hot linguini then sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
I post these recipes to be as close to the original as possible. However, I do eat healthy and would like to extend a healthier option out to my health conscious followers or people who are very comfortable with a vegan lifestyle that are willing to branch out. Instead of the Gardein “chikn” add spinach or baked tofu, use whole wheat or whole grain linguine and don’t use the vegan parmesan. This will be a more “whole foods” recipe than it currently is. Although, vegan options are already much healthier than the original recipe. Do what you feel comfortable with and have fun with it. If you have any recipe requests please use the comments section and provide a link. I’d love to veganize your favorite meals.